2.17.2006

Photo Friday: Hands


My hands
Originally uploaded by Temmerling.
Yup. These here are my hands. The amber ring moves from left ring finger to right index finger depending on how much water I'm retaining. Really, I should move it over now, because as you can see it's so loose it's slipping to the side.

My nails are in a sorry state. You'd think it has been a long time since I've gotten lucky by how long they are. But they grow so fast, and the quick runs right up to the very tip of my finger, so even if I cut them to the quick they're still capable of drawing blood too easily. They're strong and sharp. Excellent tools or weapons. I've used my nails to open letters, scrape up old stickers, pry open staples, make fancy patterns of moon-shaped indents on flesh (when I'm really bored), peel citrus fruit, score cardstock (I am NOT kidding on this), get gum out of hair, delouse children, scratch backs, open cd cases, cut thread, and gouge out my enemies' eyes. On more than one occasion they have served as emergency (or I'm-too-lazy-to-walk-to-the-other-room-to-get-the-real-ones) flat head screwdrivers. I do try to keep them trimmed, but often their length is determined by wear -- they just sort of wear down like a bird's beak around cuttlebone. When they do break, they break down low, and I bleed and throb. But since they grow so fast I'm only without a nail for a day or so.

When I was 21 my mom had a hysterectomy. To occupy her one afternoon I agreed to let her paint little designs on my nails (I kept them painted and manicured at the time -- I hadn't yet realized that long, manicured nails were scaring other dykes away). It took her 2 hours, but at the end I had little tropical fish and other exotic sea creatures on each of my nails. They lasted for 2 weeks. I really wish I had taken a picture. As a side note, my mother was so amused by painting with nail polish, and I had such wild colors, that she painted a porcelain dragon figurine with my nail polishes the next day. Best use of purple, blue, and green nail polish I've ever seen.

I've learned to be careful with my nails so that I don't injure others accidentally. But, I'm afraid Kristin could tell you some stories...

Posted by Trista @ 8:52 AM

Read or Post a Comment

I have a long history of bitting my nails, but since a year ago I manage to grow them a little bit, but they keep braking, so i just don't bother anymore hehehehe.

Your hands look soft! are they? hahahah

Posted by Blogger Desconocida @ 10:05 AM #
 

They are soft. But very, very strong.

Posted by Blogger Trista @ 10:18 AM #
 

LOVE your rings!
your hands look very graceful.

Posted by Blogger Calliope @ 10:33 AM #
 

Strong hands! that's good, I'm so weak in every way LOL

Posted by Blogger Desconocida @ 11:39 AM #
 

If I tried to injure someone, they would laugh at my weak paper-like bendy nails.

Posted by Blogger charlotte @ 2:41 PM #
 

Nice girly, yet if I wanted I could punch you, hands.

Posted by Blogger charlotte @ 3:38 PM #
 

I love your hands. I think they are beautiful.

Oh, M. could tell you stories about my nails. They are sharp little mofos. Let's just say that if I want to get lucky, I have to keep them short.

Posted by Blogger Sacha @ 8:57 PM #
 

hey, me again hehehe... I was checking out some of the blogs you have on your links, and I notice that a lot of them have "Photo Friday" with the same them, my question is.. Who decides what will be the theme for the photo?

Posted by Blogger Desconocida @ 3:48 PM #
 
<< Home

We're Selling Hand Crocheted Baby Hats!

hats for sale

They’re adorable, no? I bet you know a baby that they would look good on. Why don’t you click on the picture and buy one…

Buy These Cool Things

Lexie Lew

Stylish Living, Pets Included

Random Books From My Library

I'm Wishing I Had These in My Hot Little Hands (and if you buy them through this link, even if you aren't buying them for me, I get a little (very little) Something

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Trista
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS