8.11.2005

20 Things I have been occupying myself with.

1) Reorganized my reference/academic library according to a Dewey decimal-like system. Only without the Dewey. Or, really, the decimals.
2) Alphabetized by Author (and then chronologically) the rest of my library (all 40 linear feet of it).
3) Alphabetized my DVD and VHS collection. (Are you seeing a pattern here?)
4) Spent 2 hours debating various ways of organizing our CD colletion. Kristin wanted it organized by genre, I thought alphabetical was best.
5) Caved and organized all our CD's according to genre.
6) Currently considering going back and doing it alphabetically within genre (and, of course, alphabetizing the genres as well)
7) Decided that my white washcloths aren't nearly white enough.
8) Went to the store to find something to brighten them up with.
9) Came home and rewashed all white washclothes, this time adding bluing to the rinse water.
10) Gave up on the idea of white washcloths (for today)
11) Took all the addresses in our baby announcement database and put them on teeny, tiny, little return address labels and created a miniscule little address book magnet for our new fridge
12) Thought about all the ways a miniscule address book magnet would come in very handy (for instance if both Kristin and I were found asphixiated by carbon monoxide poisoning, and the people investigating why our dogs weren't barking crazily at all hours of the night broke into our house and found our bodies and needed to call someone in the family to have them come get our cat who had escaped the poisoning because she's a little promiscuous -- in a completely sterile kind of way -- and didn't know who our family was and then they look over at the fridge and see the address book and suddenly have all the answers. You laugh, but something very similar to this happened to me just last October. The finding a body and needing to call a member of the family part, NOT the asphyxiating part)
13) Stared intently into my lover's face to try to determine if she could be hiding contractions from me
14) Asked Kristin every 15 minutes if she had taken her bloodpressure readings recently.
15) Hovered over her (willing them to go down) as she took said readings.
16) Sulked after she told me that my hovering was making them go up.
17) Read some more blogger's archives.
18) Looked at my manuscript, put it back away.
19) Started Ahab's Wife
and finally
20) Took silly tests like the following test that I took 3 times to see if I would end up being a different feminist icon. I didn't. That's ok, she's awesome (in the original sense)


angela davis
You are Angela Davis! You were the THIRD WOMYN IN
HISTORY to appear on the FBI's Most Wanted
List. You are a communinist, black power-lovin'
lady who shook up the United States when you
refused to lie down quietly to oppression. You
WENT TO JAIL! Wow. You kick so much more ass
than Foxxy Brown.


Which Western feminist icon are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

Posted by Trista @ 9:22 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Very nice. I'm laughing, even as I drift toward sleep (because it's late, not because... never mind, I'm not going to dig that hole).

So no deliverance yet, huh? Your post a couple days back sounded like it could be a matter of minutes. It probably still feels that way.

Did I mention that I have a blog now?

Keep us "posted", ok?

p.s. I started watching the Color Purple with my parents tonight. After a few minutes my mom said she didn't like it because it treats women like objects. I made a short, feeble attempt at explaining that portraying is not the same as advocating. A half hour more, and I think she likes it. I can't wait to finish it.

p.p.s. What's with the button that says "Login and Publish". Is "Login" a verb? If so, then what is its past tense? Logined? I think they mean to say "Log in and Publish".

Grammar Nazi out.

Posted by Blogger StateShift @ 12:59 AM #
 

This post cracked me up. And made me think -- women are supposed to have this "nesting instinct" that kicks in right before they go into labor -- I wonder whether that's hormonal, and if so, whether anyone has studied the hormones of the female partners of pregnant women to see whether they change as well? I mean, women who live together tend to synchronize their menstrual cycles, so it stands to reason that your hormones might be going a little wacky right now... hmmm.

Posted by Blogger Anne Haines @ 3:35 PM #
 

That's what I wonder. Especially since I have been nesting and hormonal and had food cravings and aversions and and and.

Actually, I read a book called The Expectant Father and he describes a condition called Couvade (which I had already heard of being an Anthropology major) and apparently there was a study done and the fathers who experienced couvade actually had elevated levels of hormones within their bodies -- the same hormones that were elevated in their pregnant wives. Not to the same extent, of course. And I thought, I wonder if this phenomenon is stronger in female partners because of our sensitivity to pheremones...

Posted by Blogger Trista @ 3:45 PM #
 
<< Home

We're Selling Hand Crocheted Baby Hats!

hats for sale

They’re adorable, no? I bet you know a baby that they would look good on. Why don’t you click on the picture and buy one…

Buy These Cool Things

Lexie Lew

Stylish Living, Pets Included

Random Books From My Library

I'm Wishing I Had These in My Hot Little Hands (and if you buy them through this link, even if you aren't buying them for me, I get a little (very little) Something

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Trista
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS