*Oh, come ON! Every blogger is allowed to use this as a title at LEAST once in their blogging career. So stop moaning.
Have you all gone to the links I gave you last week and fallen madly, passionately in love? Good. Time to do it all over gain. Again, in no particular order of loveliness...
1) The bakers of Babycakes are Sacha and M. Though more Sacha than M, but that does not diminish my love of M. Oh, no, on the contrary, her rendition of the "shy and retiring" blog artist only fuels my love for her. I'm sure she's doing it just for that purpose, too. Babycakes is zesty and nutty. Like a vinaigrette made of citrus juice and walnut oil. Rich and springy. Oh, yeah, and earthy. Like that above-mentioned vinaigrette poured over young spinach leaves pulled from the garden and tossed, all unwashed, into a big blue bowl. There's a lot of excellent photography going on, some lovely menus hinted at, and a whole bunch of down and dirty details about trying to conceive. Plus, if you sift through the archives there are some jewels of hand-drawn comics by Sacha. Really, Babycakes is a smorgasborg of loveliness and delight. Go there, partake.
2) Decentered Doctrine is the on-line home of my good in-person friend, Jennifer. Jennifer is considerate and quirky and fun. And an excellent cook. Hoo baby, one of the great things in life is when Jennifer wants to "practice" a dinner menu on you. Then you get great food for no good reason, and that's the best reason of all. She makes expanding salads, and risottos with white truffle oil, and cooks things I only wonder about when I encounter them in the grocery store. AND she is the only person on earth who can make brussels sprouts in such a way that I crave them afterward. Jennifer's blog is full of poetry and recipes. Including the recipe for the World's Best Cake Hands Down No Competition EVER (except for my very own carrot cake, but then nothing can compare to my carrot cake!). And, on top of all that, Jennifer is just a great person. She doesn't post on her blog as much as I'd like (remember, it's all about ME) but that's because she's working on her PhD in Literature and teaching a bajillion classes all at the same time. Plus, you know, she has a life. Poo on her.
3) Nik at Otterbutt doesn't post recipes so much, but she talks about eating a lot, and I think that's a good thing. I love to read about people talking about eating good food. It makes me like them just that much more for having good taste. And I must say, Nik has excellent taste because the food she writes about enjoying is always scrumptious-sounding. Nik had an adorable baby just a month or so before Julia was born, so we have that in common, too. When one reads Otterbutt one gets the sense that Nik is a really vivacious, funny person to hang around. Her personality shines through her writing. Which isn't all that surprising, since, you know, she IS a writer. But when you read a blog and it feels like that person is right there, talking only to you (even if there are all those other commenters butting into your personal conversation) then you know the person behind that blog is pretty special. So go, let Nik chat at ya about steaks and wine and mushrooms and academia and teaching and kitchens and her baby and moving and stupid things that she does occassionally. You'll feel like you've made a new friend.
4) Speaking of friends, let me introduce you to Merr of Proud Prowsers. You first met Merr back in October when I talked about meeting my first non-crazy, non-bio mom in person. That wasn't Merr. That was her partner, but I do mention Merr in passing. She was pretty quiet that day. Since then Merr has gotten less shy and a bit more aggressive in cutting through my and Summer's chatter at each other, and I have realized that Merr is very fun, too. And she's got a wicked sense of humor. And will come out with the absolute most shocking things to say. Shocking even more since she used to be a nanny and now runs a daycare in her home. I just don't expect people who work with children to say such things! (though, FYI she never says stuff like that in front of kids). After weeks of my telling Summer and Merr about my blog, Merr finally got online and started reading it, and then went off and started her own blog. I guess that would make her my blog baby... The Prowsers have a little 2 year old cutie named Camden, and are currently working on getting a second little cutie. Keep your fingers crossed for them, they're in a 2ww right now!
5) Come swim with me and be my love. Or something like that. Mermaidgrrrl, of Salty Snippets fame, has been wooing me hard with murmurings of my hotness. Coming from such a hottie I think that's a major compliment and I am mightily flattered! (for all of you late to the game, getting yourself written up here goes smoother if you call me hot...) Salty is right, the snippets in La Mermaid's corner of the pond can be outright caustic. I loves me a grrl who calls em as she sees em! Mermaidgrrrl and her partner, Little Mister, are TTCers and Nurses, and Aussies, and Lessies, and Kombi Kampers, and fighters, and lovers, and sexy sexy sexy bitches. I also love how Mermaidgrrrl does not have a skinny body and yet takes and posts the most georgous self-portraits and snaps of her body. I love that. I need that. She is a rolemodel for me in many ways. Now if only Australia weren't so very very far away... (Edited because I had the link for Mermaidgrrrl wrong, it's all fixed now, though)
6) Now onto a blog that I discovered by way of Amy Kellogg**... My God, Utter Wonder: The Idle Thoughts of C. Monks is FUNNY! He writes letters to Star Jones that have me rolling on the floor, his escapades in rural Denmark with his new lover, Trinka, and her 3 half sisters, are just bizarre, and the way he trash talks poor, defenseless, elephants is just hilarious. But what really got me, and hooked me hard, was this post on taking his son to Toddler Sing. When you can be funny AND poignant then you can have me any way you want me.
There you go! Enjoy!
** Don't worry, Amy, I'll do you soon (I don't mean that as dirty as it sounds...)