1.11.2007

Mysterious, Maybe Prophetic Meme

From Liza...

Find the nearest book.
Name the author & title.
Turn to page 123.
Post sentences 6-8.
Tag three more people.

Since I'm at work, the nearest book to me is the one I brought with me in my bag.

Mad Ship by Robin Hobb

"He was a disaster in the making.
She was still looking at him dumbly when Keffria came into the room. "Davad!" she exclaimed."

Liza also wanted the last three books that I've read and enjoyed. Well, Mad Ship is the second book of a trilogy, and I just finished the first, Ship of Magic, last night and haven't even started Mad Ship... so as you can imagine I can't wait to find out why Davad is a disaster in the making. S, whose partner, J, blogs at Cheese and Wine, recommended the trilogy to me at the blogger bash in New York last November. It took me this long to get my hands on them. Very good, just as she said they would be, but it took me about 100 pages to get into the first book. I'm not sure I would have made it to the "hooked" part if a) I hadn't truly believed S when she talked about how good the books are, b) I hadn't been home alone all weekend with nothing else to read, and c) I realized that I was having a hard time getting into the book because the author is so good at her craft. The book starts out with a great deal of despair and frustration and powerlessness on the part of the characters we are meant to sympathize most with. The point that I realized that I was not enjoying the book simply because I was so drawn into the plight described as to make it feel personal, was the point that I realized how amazing this author is and how great the trilogy is going to be.

Before that I read The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. It was a gift from a co-worker this past christmas. She had paid attention to the fact that I often bring in Sci-fi and fantasy books to read, and so had asked her son (another fan of the genres) which book she should get me. When she told me that her son had recommended the book I was a bit... apprehensive. Her son is a teenage boy. But, I like books written for young adults, and the book sounded interesting so I read it. And then I found out that this isn't a book written for young adults, and it's the first book of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and that it has a VERY strong following, and I don't know how I could have called myself a fan of fantasy without at least being familiar with the series. I devoured the book, and then found out that the series is to have 12 titles (11 of which are published already) and that the 12th title isn't due to be published until 2009 due to Robert Jordan's being diagnosed with a rare (and in many cases, fatal) blood disease. I told this to Kristin and she muttered, darkly, "I hope this doesn't turn into another Farscape or Firefly thing." I have already received the next 4 books for free through PaperBackSwap.com. I haven't mentioned PaperBackSwap yet, but I found out about it from Hope and I am really loving the service. You list books that you're willing to send to other people, and you can browse other people's books. The more books of yours that you send out the more credits you get, the more credits you get the more books you can request. Check it out, it's really cool.

And before that I read Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. Good. Not great, mind, but very promising. I'm excited to read the next book in the series and see what Briggs does with that promise.

Well, since I wasn't officially tagged, I'm not officially tagging anyone. But... Faith? Want to chime in? Anyone else? Cali?

Posted by Trista @ 10:43 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Have you read Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series? Starts with The Eyre Affair. I think you'd like them. I think there are four in all.

Posted by Blogger hd @ 11:47 AM #
 

I thought you might like the Robin Hobb books.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 2:44 PM #
 

Here you go--http://chauceriangirl.blogspot.com/2007/01/mysterious-maybe-prophetic-meme.html

I didn't go into the bit about the last three books I've read, because I've been too damn busy to read much lately, damnit, unless you count the New Age Baby Name book, which I've been poring over trying to find the perfect name for a character who refuses to tell me her name. :)

Posted by Blogger Faith @ 4:21 PM #
 

Trista, I would love to look at your recent blog postings, but for some reason whenever I try to get to your page I end up in February. I did something--I have no idea what--and was able to get to May. How do I see your August posts? I know this is incredibly unblogsavvy of me, but I really would like to see your spice jars and I can't figure out how to get there. Just typing in www.anaccidentofhope.blogspot.com takes me to February 7, 2007. ??
--Jenn Large

Posted by Blogger Jennifer Large Seagrave @ 1:29 PM #
 
<< Home

We're Selling Hand Crocheted Baby Hats!

hats for sale

They’re adorable, no? I bet you know a baby that they would look good on. Why don’t you click on the picture and buy one…

Buy These Cool Things

Lexie Lew

Stylish Living, Pets Included

Random Books From My Library

I'm Wishing I Had These in My Hot Little Hands (and if you buy them through this link, even if you aren't buying them for me, I get a little (very little) Something

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Trista
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS