4.12.2006

Shocking!

And now it's time for another of Trista's crazy phobias:

I am deathly afraid that I will pull my teeth out by flossing.

It's true. When I go to pull the floss out from between my teeth, and the floss catches a bit, and I have to give it a tug, and then it makes a little clicking noise, I am certain that one of these days the tooth is going to come right out with it. Either the whole tooth or parts of the tooth. I have had many, many dreams where I'm flossing all my teeth away. And so I don't floss my teeth as often as I should. And when I do floss I am very, very gentle.

And it's stupid. Because NOT flossing my teeth is far more likely to make my teeth fall out. Especially since I have very little enamel left between my teeth because of a misguided orthodontic procedure performed on me when I was younger.

Anyway, what with that procedure, and the phobia of flossing, I usually tend to have many cavities. All the time with the cavities. And because I have so many cavities I hate going to the dentist. Because it's always bad news and impending shots and pain and exorbitant expense. Because I rarely have dental insurance.

It's a self-feeding, self-defeating cycle.

But now, with my fancy, dancy job. I have dental insurance. And one of those medical savings accounts. So there was no reason to put off going to the dentist any more (it's been three years since my last visit). I girded up my loins and marched into the dentist's office in my building.

And guess what?

NO CAVITIES.

I am shocked.

And shaken.

I mean, it feels a bit surreal. No cavities. What has the world come to? The next thing you know I'll be winning the lottery or something...

Hmmm. Maybe I should drive to Idaho tonight.

I didn't get off entirely unscathed. One of my crowns has cracked and should be replaced. So I'm going in in 2 weeks and getting that taken care of. And the dentist suggests I have 2 crowns placed on two teeth that are mostly fillings as a way to prevent future problems. And I just might do that. But we'll see. We'll see what my situation is...

Posted by Trista @ 3:52 PM

Read or Post a Comment

I have one, I think. I've never had one before so I'm not entirely sure what it's like. But I think I have one. But it doesn't hurt.
Anyway, I'm not fixing it. Because maybe if it IS a cavity, it will kill the tooth enough that they have to pull it. Since they won't pull a healthy tooth. And my idea is that if I remove ALL of my back molars, when my next set of molars comes in, they will fill the spot. And STOP growing. See, I figure that I have now surgically removed 17 'wisdom' teeth and each time they grow right back within a year. But, maybe if I let them grow all the way in and never separate them from the bud, the bud will get the fucking message and stop making new teeth.
Anyway, where was I?
Oh. I don't floss. So there.

Posted by Blogger Estelle @ 4:31 PM #
 

I share your joy and fear! I hadn't gone to the dentist for nine years and was basically shitting my pants in fear. Imagine my elation when he told me my teeth were virtually perfect! I was sweating bullets before that moment. Poor LM didn't escape her check-up so easily - three fillings!

Posted by Blogger Mermaidgrrrl @ 8:08 AM #
 

wow. very impressed!

I only floss after eating pop corn or strawberries. I'm sure all my teeth with fall out in due time...especially since I consume an insane amount of skittles.

Posted by Blogger Calliope @ 8:51 AM #
 
<< Home

We're Selling Hand Crocheted Baby Hats!

hats for sale

They’re adorable, no? I bet you know a baby that they would look good on. Why don’t you click on the picture and buy one…

Buy These Cool Things

Lexie Lew

Stylish Living, Pets Included

Random Books From My Library

I'm Wishing I Had These in My Hot Little Hands (and if you buy them through this link, even if you aren't buying them for me, I get a little (very little) Something

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Trista
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS